Friday, May 1, 2009

Shameless Endorsements

Today, I have two endorsements to share.

ENDORSEMENT #1 SILENT SORORITY: I never was lucky enough to go away to college directly following high school graduation like many of my peers. I never had the chance to join a sorority (in the common definition). However, I am now apart of the sorority that I wish no woman had to be apart of ... this endorsement is a "birth" announcement of a blogger friend's soon-to-be released book, Silent Sorority. The author, Pamela, doesn't know that her website and her brief 2008 New York Times story inspired me to continue sharing my story - in the face of so many people that just want us to "get over it" and to really consider that this story might not end with one of Disneyland's fairytale endings that I thought I was entitled to; reading Pamela's blog has allowed me to "go there" and consider that my life can still go on if Berilac and I are not able to become parents.

So, thank you Pamela. I'm sure your book will be just as touching. Hats off to you sister! I look forward to receiving your book and uniting my heart and my experiences with your story in paperback.

To everyone else: it is my understanding that this book is not only a great way for infertiles to feel connected (rather than isolated) in our journey, but it also can be used as a tool for those that haven't experienced this road and don't understand this struggle - to get to know the heart of it a bit better ... so get out there ladies and buy this book!



ENDORSEMENT #2 MISCARRIAGE SURVEY: Now you may or may not notice the groovy new link in my right nav bar? If you've been the unlucky recipient of the miscarriage experience - take a moment to click on it. I was recently contacted by a Doctoral candidate in Counseling Psychology from Teachers College at Colombia University. She is completing her dissertation and could use our help. She is trying to inform future research and modify current practice regarding miscarriage among health and mental health providers, ultimately improving care for women and families affected by miscarriage. I align with those endeavours and so have decided to cooperate with her request to make this survey available through my blog.

This is what she had to say:

Everyone has a unique experience with miscarriage and many find help and support through websites like this one. Unfortunately, little is known about women's experiences of support and how this may affect responses to miscarriage, and so I invite you to participate in my dissertation research study examining women’s experiences following a miscarriage. Although there is no direct benefit to you, survey results may help healthcare providers better understand and meet the needs of women following miscarriage. This online survey takes approximately 15-20 minutes and is open to women who have miscarried a wanted pregnancy in the previous 6 months who are 18 years of age or older, living in the United States, and involved in a relationship with a significant other. Participants are eligible for a raffle for a $50 American Express gift certificate.


To the ladies who have experienced miscarriage: my heart is broken with you, and I'm so incredibly sorry for your pain and loss - I know it all too well. If/when you feel strong enough to participate, click on this survey link (as I mentioned, I will also leave it in the nav bar for future opportunities) and take 15-20 mins to complete it. If you've had multiple losses, it is recommended that you keep a single pregnancy loss in your mind as you respond to the questions.

Thank you for your help in contributing to hopefully changing the way our medical community views and ultimately handles our circumstance. And if the dissertation doesn't get that much industry exposure, at least you know you've helped someone who cares about pregnancy loss - and that too is worth something.


***

Ok, this here infomercial is over! Back to your regularly scheduled blogging ...

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't ask for a stronger more caring sorority ... I'm humbled by your kind words and hope to continue to help by carrying a lantern for all my younger sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I filled out the survay. I was not fully aware of the hurt I still feel about each and every miscarriage. This survay showed me I am healing but I am still hurting over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

    בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים כמו כן יש במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

    לפרטים אנא לפנות לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

    ReplyDelete