Monday, September 22, 2008

Consult 2 of 3

Today was our consult with Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM. Nice guy, not the most verbose. Also, not the warm fuzzy that you'd hope for, but we knew that was his M.O. before we started.

Dr. Schoolcraft was not as optimistic as Dr. Mil.ki ... not sure that's due to his personality or his skill. I'm hoping it's the former.

Here's what it boils down to:
  • They generally don't do the PBB on just the eggs and freeze the eggs, but they would be willing to do that for us. (Typically they do the PBB1 on the egg, then fertilize the egg then do a PBB2 on the fertilized egg, then freeze the fertilized egg.)
  • He suggests genetic testing on eggs because statistically I'm more likely to have aneuploidy babies.
  • He said he would change 4 things about my current SIRM protocols: no Lupron, no BCP's, no estrogen priming, and no Luveris.
  • He made an excellent point (that I've been trying to deny in all of my denial) ... my low AMH level, along with my high FSH, along with 4 miscarriages (where two of which were proven chromosomally abnormal) fit into diminished ovarian reserve and/or "an egg problem" however, my elevated antral follicle count of 16 does not. He believes that there really are only 5-6 eggs retrievable for me each cycle ... regardless of my almost 20 growing follicles.
  • Donor eggs would be an excellent option for us if we're tired of going through these cycles without having a baby.

Basically he said that he'd know more about protocol and how to proceed with us after learning the results of the day 3 blood work, CCCT, and a 1 day work up.

Berilac and I are likely going to head to Colorado to do the 1 day work up, we would have more information that way. They would be able to tell us which protocol they would use and if they think donor egg/embryo is our best chance.

Pray for us as we try to follow God's leading in all of this ... that is our hearts desire.

6 comments:

  1. So consult #1 said that your best chances were w CCRM, but he also sounded much more optimistic that consult #2 doc. I know this can't be easy for you, but I am hoping that the answers get easier as you learn more. Good luck and {{hugs}} for you, Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly, I gotta tell ya, when I read your posts my head swims!! LOL! I thought I knew a good bit about infertility work-up, but I've come to realize that I know ZILCH!! HAhaha. I wish the best in figuring out what to do. Your posts seem so much more optimistic and I'm glad you've found some hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to agree with Joy. My head goes in circles but man, I am learning so much from you.

    You have always been in my prayers and I will continue praying for you and Berilac.

    (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more step forward, Polly. Some are not as easy as others. From what I have read about Dr. S is that he gives it to you straight. It sounds like he still has hope for you which is a wonderful sign. Keep us posted on the one day work up. Praying that all goes well and you are able to get a plan of attack very soon. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must agree with Joy and Just me - Your posts are so educational!!! I think if CCRM is the best there is and they still have hope for you - then, that is FANTASTIC news. I'll be reading to learn about the day one work up. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content.

    Please let me know. Cheers

    Here is my web blog :: funny cat compilation

    ReplyDelete